Associate Prof. Dafna Fisher-Gewirtzman is the Chair of the Architecture program at the Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. She serves as Academic Director of the VisLab, the immersive virtual reality visualization laboratory. Previously, she was Vice President of Student Affairs. Previously, she was a faculty member at the Interior Design - Building and Environment, Shenkar College. Dafna graduated from the Technion's Faculty of Architecture, where she also completed her Master's and Ph.D. Over the years, she has been invited as a visiting scholar at several international universities including ETH in Zurich, the Future City Lab at the National University of Singapore as well as a visiting professor at CUSP-NY. Her research focus is on the field of visual analysis and simulation and development of novel, automated architecture design tools based on potential residents' perception of space, directed toward the development of sustainable built environments. In addition, she leads research in the area of adaptive re-use architecture documentation and analysis. Her research is financially supported by the Israel Science Foundation and JOY VENTURES. She is a UNESCO fellowship recipient and a laureate of the prestigious Yanai Prize for Excellence in Academic Education and the Henri Gutwirth Fund for the Promotion of Research. Her work has been published in leading professional journals and presented in numerous international conferences and universities around the world.
Main Research Interests
- Urban density: Interdisciplinary research incorporating Architecture, urban design and Neuroscience aspiring for the wellbeing of urban dwellers. Experiments in virtual reality.
- Environments for the Aging Brain - Interdisciplinary Behavioral Research to Examine Environments Supporting Orientation and wayfinding in Public Spaces for the elderly people. Experiments in virtual reality. The study aims at designing quality friendly environments for the elderly.
- Visual and Spatial analysis and simulation. Focusing on Objective Evaluation and development of Automated tools, simulating human Perception in the Built Environment,
- Housing and Urban Density, Minimal dwelling units & clusters for dense urban environment
- Generative architecture design. Geometry optimization based on visibility and crowdsourcing evaluations.
Reception hours: Sunday 12:00-13:00, by appointment.